Our Manhattan, New York office has an immediate opening for a Geotechnical Engineer with 2 to 4 years of experience. This position will include a mix of both field and office work. The field work will include observing geotechnical explorations, installation of observation wells, performing pre-construction surveys, implementation of instrumentation monitoring, and special inspection services. The office work will include drafting specifications, writing geotechnical reports, reviewing test results, and preparing proposals.
This Geotechnical Engineer would be expected to perform engineering analysis including: short and long-term settlement estimates, bearing capacity, pile design (compression, tension, and lateral capacity of single piles and pile groups), liquefaction assessment, site class determination, load test evaluation, interpretation of instrumentation data, pavement design, slope stability, and support of excavation design.
This position requires a responsive, motivated individual with attention to detail, and an ability to multi-task. Strong communication skills are required. As part of our geotechnical team, the candidate will work under the supervision of a Project Manager working on a variety of projects and scopes.
It is anticipated that a majority of the work will occur during normal business hours, however the position does require flexibility to travel and to work nights and weekends if necessary.
• Bachelor’s of Science degree in Civil Engineering required; Master’s of Science degree preferred in Civil Engineering or Geotechnical Engineering with a background or strong academic training in civil engineering
• EIT certification preferred, with desire to progress to P.E. within reasonable timeframe
• 2-4 years’ geotechnical engineering experience in New York City
• Highly motivated self-starter with a professional attitude
• Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to prepare clear and concise letters, memoranda, technical reports, proposals, and figures
• Strong computer skills including a solid foundation in MS Office applications
• Experience with AutoCAD, LPile, WEAP, Plaxis, and SlopeW
• Ability to work independently
• Valid New York Driver’s License
• Ability to work outdoors during all seasons
• Ability to use harnesses, ladders, or personnel lifts
GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc. is an Affirmative/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, marital or veteran status, age or other protected status.