- Performed condition surveys and subsurface explorations and prepared repair cost estimates
- Completed a value engineering study and provided recommendations for fender system upgrades
- Prepared construction documents for pier repairs and fender system installation
- Provided construction administration services
- Repairs were sequenced to maintain operations during construction
Quonset Development Corporation (QDC) manages and operates the Quonset Business Park, a 3,160-acre multimodal industrial and commercial business park located on Narragansett Bay. The facility includes two World War II era piers that support major auto import operations.
GZA was retained by QDC through a qualification-based selection process to provide engineering services for the rehabilitation of Davisville Pier No. 1. A former Navy Pier constructed in the early 1950s; the pier is currently used for berthing Ro-Ro vehicle transport vessels and as a staging area for the import of passenger cars. The pier is approximately 250 feet wide and 1200 feet long.
GZA prepared design studies and engineering documents for waterfront repairs and improvements including the following:
- Topside and underside surveys of structural elements including caps, deck, beams, mooring hardware, and fender system
- Identification and characterization of deficiencies
- Selection of repair methods and priorities
GZA also completed a value engineering study to evaluate options for upgrading the current fender system as well as plans, details, specifications, and cost estimates for structural repairs to the concrete deck and pile caps; replacement of deteriorated timber framing; repair and replacement of timber foundation piles; and installation of a new fender system including associated structural improvements.
The repairs to the pier structure and the upgraded fendering system more readily accommodated the berthing and the unloading operations for the large auto carriers that regularly call on the port.