- National Safety Council "Perfect Record" Award for five consecutive years
- First in U.S. offshore wind and port development
- Multi-discipline services for over 900 solar and battery storage facilities
- Dam safety engineering services for over 1,000 dams.
- Multi-discipline services on over 100 former Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP) sites
- Hydrogeological and geotechnical services at 25 Nuclear Power Plants
- Multi-discipline services for over 400 miles of electric T&D
- Geotechnical, Civil, and Environmental services on over 300 electric substations
GZA's 50+ years working in the Energy sector has earned us a trusted reputation and a strong, vibrant, and growing presence in the Renewable, Utility, Nuclear, and Natural Gas industries today.
Our size and organizational structure provides our clients both strong technical depth and agile responsiveness, which our clients rely on to support their technically challenging and fast-paced projects and programs.
GZA supports the latest wave of major construction and compliance projects as decarbonization initiatives continue to spur unprecedented investments in the development of renewable energy.
GZA provides turnkey waterfront and coastal engineering, design and permitting services. GZA has provided geotechnical services for 12 offshore wind farm projects, including Block Island Wind Farm, the first offshore wind farm in the United States.
Explore our offshore wind projects
Our planning, permitting, and civil and geotechnical design for over 900 solar and battery storage facilities has provided GZA valuable tools to help overcome the technical and logistical challenges of integrating these essential renewable resources in our communities.
Explore More About Solar
GZA has 55+ years of dam safety engineering on over 1,000 dams combined with in-house hydropower engineering services on 40 kW to 900 MW projects including FERC relicensing, permitting, environmental studies, safety inspections, PFMA Facilitation and EAP Training Exercises.
- Nearshore and Offshore Geotechnical and Geophysical Programs
- Pipeline and Cable Burial and HDD Investigations
- Extensive Geotechnical and Ecological Services for Interconnections
- Heavy Lift Port Evaluation and Design
- Viewshed Analysis
- Solar and Storage Siting, Permitting, and Civil Design
- Endangered Species Management Plans
- Hydropower FERC Licensing & Relicensing
GZA’s multidisciplinary expertise, proactive approach to regulatory agency engagement, and extensive experience in the power sector, from planning through project close-out, helps our utility clients improve regional reliability, safety, and efficiency.
We have assisted over 50 clients, since the early 1980’s, on over 100 former manufactured gas plants (MGPs) located in a variety of geographic and environmental settings, ranging from densely populated urban areas to sites located adjacent to marine and freshwater environments. With more than 30 years of experience assessing and remediating MGP sites around the country, we can fully support your remediation needs for legacy assets and reduce environmental liabilities from your balance sheet.
Electric & Gas T&D
GZA's exemplary safety record working on over 400 miles of electric transmission and distribution (T&D), over 300 electric substations, and over 100 gas line crossings proves the value of people-based safety.
Our geotechnical, ecological, and civil engineering services have assisted gas and electric utility companies, and their engineers and contractors evaluated risk; expedite development; design; construct; maintain; and upgrade their assets to meet continually increasing levels of reliability, resilience, and sustainability.
GZA’s hydrologists and water resource engineers are experienced in developing watershed water budgets and reservoir modeling, performing inflow/outflow analyses, estimating seasonal in-stream flows, evaluating the safe yield of water supply reservoirs, providing design repairs for embankment and gravity dams, and all other aspects of waterworks infrastructure permitting, design, construction, startup, operations, evaluations and reports.
- Subsurface Investigations Within Active Natural Gas and Electric Facilities
- Intrinsically Safe Automated Deflection / Vibration Instrumentation
- Linear Wetland Delineation
- Natural Resources Permitting, Mitigation, and Construction Compliance
- Coastal Resilience, Flood Hardening, and Storm Response
- MGP Assessment and Remediation
- Plant Demolition and Construction Management
- Water Supply Sources, Distribution, Planning, and Treatment
GZA has successfully completed over 120 projects with owners and nuclear engineering firms, providing geotechnical engineering, earthquake engineering, civil engineering, hydrology/hydraulic engineering, geological and environmental services. Our nuclear plant experience will be valuable as many plants enter decommissioning and investments are made in modern designs for advanced reactor technologies and small modular reactors.
GZA has safely completed work at 25 U.S. nuclear power plant sites including geotechnical and civil engineering services in support of the design and construction of 14 Independent Spent Fuel Storage Installations (ISFSIs). GZA provided geotechnical and marine engineering investigation services for the evaluation of cylindrical wedge wire (CWW) screens as cooling water intake structures in support of a facility license renewal process.
GZA hydrogeological services at nuclear facilities includes the assessment and characterization of radionuclides to groundwater; subject matter expertise in relicensing matters under litigation; and support for four Combined Operating License Applications (COLAs.)
Our engineers and scientists have contributed to the resilience of the most hardened and secure critical infrastructure in the United States following our completion of post-Fukushima flood studies at 23 Nuclear Power Plants.
- Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Seismic Site Response
- Liquefaction Analysis per NRC 1.198
- Flood Hazard Re-evaluations
- Geotechnical Design for Small Modular Reactors (SMR)
- Environmental Services for Plant Decommissioning and Decontamination
- Compliance with Nuclear Quality Program 10 CFR 50, Appendix B
- Groundwater Protection Initiative per NEI 07-07
We assist clients in their continual efforts to improve the reliability of the nation’s domestic natural gas resources necessary for heating homes and generating electricity during the ongoing retirement of coal- and oil-fired plants.
We have supported several extensive Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) modernization and upgrades needed to improve the reliance and reliability of fuel supplies, particularly in geographically resource-constrained regions. Our clients have learned to rely on GZA’s breadth of experience remediating former MGP sites and designing waterfront improvements to complete these projects safely and efficiently.
Moving the natural gas to resource-constrained areas requires significant expertise in linear construction and sensitive waterbody and transportation infrastructure crossings. Our engineers and scientists have intimately assisted in evaluating, designing, and installing over 100 high pressure natural gas transmission pipeline crossings and compressor stations.
Demolition and redevelopment of our aging fossil plants provide valuable opportunities to interconnecting renewable resources and constructing modern natural gas-fired units to bridge us to a cleaner and more sustainable energy future. Our environmental assessment and remediation professionals can assist in achieving regulatory closure while striving to evaluate remedial alternatives to identify potential cost saving strategies and efficiencies.
- Intrinsically safe, continuous deflection and vibration monitoring inside Exclusion Zones
- Earthquake Engineering and Seismic Site Response
- Comprehensive Geotechnical Engineering for Horizontal Directional Drilling (HDD)
- Ecological Services for Pipeline Installation and Maintenance
- High Risk Remediation, Specialty, & Clean Construction
Solar Development at Rose Hill, West Kingstown, and University of Rhode Island (URI) Superfund Landfills
Block Island Offshore Wind Farm
Poster: State Pier Offshore Wind Port Infrastructure Improvements, New London, CT
Download the poster Many U.S. ports currently struggle to meet the needs of the growing offshore wind industry. This project involves upgrading the existing state pier complex in New London, CT into a...
Solar Panel Disposal: Recycling, Reclamation And Risk
Solar panels have an expected life of 25 years. However, at the end of that life, or due to unexpected damage from weather (think golf ball sized hail) or other circumstances, the question of how to...
USDA’s Rural Energy for America Program (REAP): What To Know
The Department of Agriculture (USDA) has announced that applications for the Rural Energy for America Program (REAP) Grant is open for fiscal year 2023. Below is a brief summary of the program to...
Video: Offshore Wind Advanced Foundation Component Facility, Providence, RI
In one year, Ørsted, Dimeo Construction Company, GZA, and Waterson Terminal Services, LLC worked together to design-build an advanced facility for building and shipping the foundations of offshore...
Tell us about your project.